Confidence and a Plan that Works | Build your profile to connect with employers | Search for an Expo Near You | By Lisa Dunster | May 23, 2013 |
Planning and preparation are important to getting a great job. Don’t just take my word for it though, listen to one of our recent candidates.
Michael Inductivo attended our Oakland Veteran Opportunity Expo last year and landed a job with a private security firm. He is proof that a strategy leads to great results.
Inductivo’s five tips for success:
- Come prepared with specific jobs for which you intend to apply. Do not simply “shot gun” your resume to all employers who attend the expo. Be selective. Don’t waste your time or the recruiter’s time.
- Bring different resumes that fit the jobs you are applying for. This allows the recruiter to see your specific qualifications related to a specific position.
- Practice both the questions and statements you wish to share with a recruiter to show your interest and qualifications. Be knowledgeable of the company’s business and financial goals. Then sell your skill sets.
- Project strong verbal communication, non-verbal communication and eye contact. Don’t forget your handshake matters.
- Be prepared to explain any difficulties your resume may show such as gaps in employment. If you are positive in expressing what you have learned from those difficult times, show that you continue to drive through it and have strong determination it will usually result in a positive outcome.
Inductivo saw his plan work. Within one month, and as a direct result of his interaction at the expo, he obtained a job in the field of his choice.
Don’t forget to utilize what you know from your military background and apply it. Strategy matters and can work for you too. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel, try some of these strategies for yourself.
“A clear vision, backed by definite plans, gives you a tremendous feeling of confidence and personal power.”
- Brian Tracy, Professional Speaker, Best Selling Author, Entrepreneur and Success Expert